Monday, September 10, 2018

Harvest Monday - 10 September 2018

Hello again from Eight Gate Farm. The weather has had a distinct fall feel, especially over the weekend when the low temperatures flirted with the 40s. Accordingly, things are slowing down.

There was only one new crop this week, Spanish onions. I grew these from purchased starts. Some are large for us, though in the supermarket I suppose they would only be "mediums."

Spanish onions
Determinate tomatoes, zucchini, and pickling cucumbers are still being harvested in reasonable quantities.


With what we had accumulated on Tuesday, The Kitchen Goddess canned seven pints of all-purpose tomato sauce.


Then, as the days went by, I brought in this:


This:


And this:


Guess what she's doing today!

In other crop notes, the yellow-eye beans were judged ready for storage. It's a pretty good amount, 3 pounds 9.5 ounces. I won't need to grow them next year.

Kenearly Yellow-eye beans
Fall raspberries are ripening nicely.


And from her community garden plot, TKG's Blue Jade corn, which we did not particularly like as sweet corn, was instead left to dry on the cob. She shelled them this week. They will make nice blue cornmeal.

Blue Jade corn shucked and dried.
And she brought home two nice artichokes.

Imperial Star artichokes
That's all for this week. Thanks for reading! Please read all the Harvest Monday posts, brought to you by Dave at HappyAcres.blog.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing harvest. The beans look so pretty! My onion harvest was pretty tiny, in number and in size...ha ha! So yours is looking great! I really want to grow artichokes. I tried once but they did not survive. I'll have to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shawn Ann. You should try artichokes again. They might be a bit fussy, but so worth it!

      Delete
  2. It's feeling like fall here too, down to 43ºF this morning and yesterday morning. It's not been as warm as usual but in light of the horrendous fires this year it's not a bad thing. Look at that lovely glut of tomatoes. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Yes, that does seem cool for you. I know you had tomato problems, but I hope you try again next year, even if you have to build forts like with your peppers.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of yellow eye beans! They are one of my favorite for soups. The blue cornmeal sounds like a winner too. "Reasonable quantities" huh- was there a second opinion on that? As for the onions, they were a dismal failure here this year so they look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. You know, I tried 3 times to comment on your post today and it failed each time. So please don't think I was ignoring you!

      Delete
    2. It went to the spam folder by mistake! I freed it.

      Delete
  4. Lots of pretty tomatoes and onions. It looks like you're still getting many different vegetables from your garden. Do you do a late planting of radishes? It's definitely getting chilly in your area already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bean crop!! Great at this time in the year when there is plenty to store away isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely harvests! I'm dealing with a bit of a tomato glut as well - trying to harvest as much as I can before blight takes everything down, especially with all this rain we've been getting.

    ReplyDelete