Monday, June 27, 2022

Harvest Monday - 27 June 2022

Welcome to another Harvest Monday update from Eight Gate Farm. The weather has warmed, and the produce is finally starting to roll in. We had several new harvests this week. 

First up is peas. We got three generous pickings of this variety, Super Sugar Snap. It is productive and resistant to powdery mildew. But the vines get very tall!

Super Sugar Snap peas

The snow pea "Avalanche" came in a few days later. This variety has much shorter vines, but I still trellis them.

Avalanche snow peas

I took the first kohlrabi. The larger one had split for some reason, which has never happened before, but it was still nice and crisp and tasty. We added the greens to our breakfast smoothies.

Kolibri kohlrabi

I cut the first head of iceberg lettuce. I love iceberg despite it not being fashionable in the culinary world.

Iceberg lettuce

This was supposed to be iceberg, but turned out to be some type of frizzy lettuce. It was starting to bolt.

Not iceberg lettuce

The last new harvest was a handful of parsley. I've struggled to grow parsley in recent years, but this year I planted it in one of the raised beds instead of the herb garden, and it's doing very well. Better soil. It is the flat-leaf "Italian" type, which I prefer to the curly variety.

Italian parsley

For continuing harvests, I cut all the remaining garlic scapes. Funny story. When we were recently in California, we had a picnic lunch at a farm/winery. We bumped into a woman who was there picking up her CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box. She was very puzzled about the garlic scapes she found in the box. We proceeded to bend her ear for 15 minutes about all the uses of scapes. She left bewildered enlightened.

Garlic scapes

That's all for this week. Thanks for reading, and thanks again to Dave at HappyAcres.blog for hosting Harvest Monday.


3 comments:

  1. Great story about the garlic scapes! I miss having them since I stopped growing garlic. I was tempted to plant a few cloves anyway just for the scapes. My kohlrabi splits sometimes, and I don't know why. As long as I catch it soon enough they don't seem any the worse for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your harvests resemble my winter garden. Soon, I expect the summer crops will be rolling in for you.

    ReplyDelete