Monday, October 14, 2019

Harvest Monday - 14 October 2019

Happy Thanksgiving Day to Canadian readers! Here in the U. S., it's a different holiday, Columbus Day. Not to get political, but there is an increasing effort to rename it to "Indigenous Peoples Day," an idea I support.

We have no frost expected in the long-term forecast, but it's been mostly a cold, gloomy week. Peppers and tomatoes are not really ripening. So I'm making an effort to gradually harvest what I can, and if we don't need it, I'll just let it take its course.

First up are the ornamental/edible hot peppers I grew. They were completely loaded with ripe fruit.

Left: Bolivian Rainbow, right: Poinsettia
I turned them into 300ml of very hot sauce.


I took most of the Jimmy Nardello's peppers, not red-ripe but still useful.

Jimmy Nardello's
I've grown Maule's Red Hot cayenne peppers for years. They look very much like Jimmy's above. This year I bought a generic cayenne plant, and the fruit turned out to be very different, thinner but much more productive. I harvested all of them this week; I'd guess 100 or more. I saved some seeds, and I hope they come up true.

Generic cayenne pepper
What else to do but make more hot sauce? I added a little garlic to this batch, and the result is quite pleasant. Spicy for sure, but manageable.


Okay, I promise, no more hot sauce.

I harvested the last of the zucchini. The plants were in bad shape from powdery mildew, but were still trying to make fruit. I think the cold weather has reduced the pollinator activity, so no point in keeping the plants. I removed them.

Cocozelle di Napoli and Yellowfin
I also took the last of the spring-planted turnips. The largest was 2 1/2 pounds. These were mostly cubed, blanched, and frozen. I still think the yellowish ones are rutabagas, whose seed got mixed in.

Turnips and maybe a rutabaga
The Kitchen Goddess took a little and made something different, fermented turnips. She added a sliced jalapeno to each jar. We sampled them, and they are quite unique. The pepper really gives it some zip.

Turnip spears fermenting
She is also still picking fall raspberries, a little at a time, but it sure adds up!


That's all for this week. Thanks for reading, and thanks once again to Dave at HappyAcres.blog for hosting Harvest Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I'll never get tired of your hot sauces! I can almost see the flames coming out of the red batch. I do like making a green hot sauce too. It's a good way to use those end of season ones. I'm smoking some green jalapenos today, with green Anaheims to get smoked tomorrow. I have fermented turnips in the past, and they are a treat. If you like them I bet you would like the fermented kohlrabi which has a similar crunch but with a milder flavor. I'm not sure I'll have either turnips or kohlrabi this fall since both are not sizing up yet in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those raspberries! A friend gave me some starts so I'm hoping to have them next year.

    ReplyDelete