Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Onion crop, where hast Thou gone?

Today The Kitchen Goddess informed me we were down to our last few onions. Here they are:


That got me wondering how long we've been storing them. Turns out we harvested on August 1 of last year.


I'd say this is pretty good results from a storage perspective. Sure, some sprouted (still fine), and just a few rotted, but otherwise this crop has served us well for 9 1/2 months.

The variety is Stuttgarter, and besides being a good keeper they have exception robust flavor. In the past I've only grown them from sets. But everyone assured me that growing from seed produces better results. So that's what I tried this year. I must say I still have doubts--the little grass-like stalks look so fragile.

I have of course been absent from Harvest Monday, hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres. This has just been a miserable spring, and everything is behind by 3 weeks. I hope to soon have something substantial to show you for current harvests.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that's behind this year - it's almost as if we went from winter to summer in the past week. Most of the "storage onions" varieties of onion I've grown have stored fairly well. Like you, some have sprouted/rotted but I still have a few bunches hanging in the basement that are just fine. We definitely won't be running out this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your summer weather is headed our way this week--yay! Glad you are still rich in onions. We were hoarding, but decided it was wise to start using them in quantity, which meant yummy French Onion Soup for me!!

      Delete
  2. Nine and a half months is exceptional! I've been out of onions for months now, but my Zebrune shallots have been hanging in there pretty well. I ended up chopping, sautéing and freezing the last of my onions before they all spoiled. It's always a bit of a miracle to watch those wispy little onion seedlings "grow up"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do hope they "grow up." I will be really disappointed if we have onion crop failure, since we rely on them so much.

      Delete
  3. I've struggled to find a good storage onion ... my own fault for buying local seeds rather than ordering specific types. Mine usually start to rot. Congrats on your storage, hoping I can get that success some season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Stuttgarter seeds from Baker Creek. I think they are a perfect storage onion, but it's the only type I've ever grown, so I'm no real judge.

      Delete