Monday, June 20, 2016

Harvest Monday - 20 June 2016

Hello again from Eight Gate Farm! Weather-wise, the days are starting to get warmer while the nights stay cool. Good for sleeping, but not for the solanaceae family, melons, cucumbers, squash, or corn. All are still not "taking off." Speaking of corn, I drove by a commercial cornfield yesterday, and the plants there are at least a foot tall, while mine are barely 3 inches. GMO Frankencorn? Super-fertilized? Who knows?

Now on to this week's harvests, which I'm sorry to say are just like last week's. We took virtually the last of the radishes:


And a good amount of lettuce:


Those make up our nightly salads, the health benefits of which are completely negated by the ranch dressing I love to pour on.

More Asian greens and the last of the garlic scapes:


I don't write about them often, but herbs from the Kitchen Herb Garden (a repurposed sandbox) are giving us lots of flavor. Here's a picking of thyme and winter savory:


They went toward a dry marinade for grilled chicken breasts, which gave some delicious protein accompaniment to our salads.

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading! And as always thanks to Dave at Our Happy Acres for hosting Harvest Monday, without which you would probably not be reading this!

12 comments:

  1. Very nice harvest! Love picking fresh herbs right out of the garden and using them in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. Dried herbs are good too wouldn't you say? Happy to have them in any form.

      Delete
  2. Nice harvest. I am just starting to get garlic scapes, so you must grow some earlier varieties. Your herb harvest reminds me I need to get my deck-top herb garden planted. Fresh herbs just out the back door is the goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. It seems to me my scapes are early, but I don't have any prior experience. Good luck with your deck garden.

      Delete
  3. Those radishes look great, as does the lettuce. Herbs are usually unspoken workhorses of the garden, aren't they - a little goes a long way and makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. Yes, we tend to overlook the herbs, but they add such savor.

      Delete
  4. Well my weather is warm enough 24 hours a day for cukes, tomatoes, etc. But of course that means it is too hot for the broccoli, cauliflower and such. Ah well ... I was told by someone who knows better than I to grow a variety so at least you end up with something to harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, variety is the key to success.

      Delete
  5. Radishes and salad greens are never boring in my book. I'm always sorry to see the salad season here end. And herbs don't always get their due mention here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salads completely over? That is sad. We still have quite a few more weeks.

      Delete
  6. I rarely show any herbs either even though I harvest some almost every day. Warm days and cool nights, that pretty much summer here, warm nights are rare events. I think your radishes look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I'm sure your herbs will put mine to shame.

      Delete