Monday, June 24, 2024

Harvest Monday - 24 June 2024

Hello again from Eight Gate Farm! Here's a representation of harvests we have had since I last posted. There are a couple of new crops, plus continuing ones.

I took the first kohlrabi. Our Harvest Monday host, Dave, grows many varieties of kohlrabi, very successfully. This purple one, a hybrid called Kolibri, is the only one I've ever grown, but it meets our needs well.

Kolibri (F1) kohlrabi

 We also picked the first edible-podded peas. On the left is Super Sugar Snap; the right is Avalanche, a snow pea. The latter suffered from poor germination again this year. I've discarded the seed.

Mangetout

For continuing crops, lettuce is coming in strong. It's almost hard to keep up with it.


Summer Lettuce Blend mix

Red iceberg lettuce

The Asian Greens are winding down. I cut two Tatsois, as they were starting to flower.

Tatsoi

Green onions (aka scallions etc.) are being taken as needed. I really like their mild but tasty flavor.

Nabechan (F1) scallions

Finally, I cut the rest of the garlic scapes. We gave away a few. The straight scapes at the top of the picture are some from the elephant garlic I planted last fall. I've never grown this type, and really don't know what to expect.

Garlic scapes

In wildlife notes, we recently had a close encounter with a very large porcupine. The North American porcupine is the second largest rodent we have (after the beaver). It's not typical to see them in the daytime. I was concerned that this guy would stray into the unfenced field garden, so I shooed him away. In slow motion that is, as he is more of a waddler.

Porcupine

That's all for now. Thanks for reading, and thanks to Dave at HappyAcres.blog for continuing to host Harvest Monday.



1 comment:

  1. Wow on that porcupine! That's one critter I haven't seen around here. And the scallions and lettuce are lovely, as is the Kolibri kohlrabi.

    ReplyDelete