Monday, July 8, 2024

Harvest Monday - 8 July 2024

Hello again from Eight Gate Farm! Here's what's come out of the garden since my last Harvest Monday post.

The big star "first harvest" has to be artichokes. Our homegrown artichokes can't compare in size to the ones coming from California, but it is always a treat to get them. They are early, and the plants are very healthy this year

Tavor artichokes

I cut the first head of "Eastern Magic" broccoli. I'm trying this as a replacement for Blue Wind, which I couldn't source this year. This is for the early broccoli slot. It actually came in extra early, 58 days from transplant, which is quite good. It's also tasty and attractive.

Eastern Magic (F1) broccoli

I'm also growing "Green Magic" broccoli. This is supposed to fill the mid-summer slot, but I harvested these just 9 days after Eastern Magic.

Green Magic (F1) broccoli

For continuing harvests, edible-podded peas are winding down, with very few new flowers on the vines. This is of course due to the extreme heat we've been having. 

Mangetout

We're using up the kohlrabi as fast as we can, but there are still a few more out in the garden getting very large (and splitting).

Kolibri (F1) kohlrabi

I took the last head of iceberg lettuce. This was starting to lose its compact iceberg shape, but it's still good and not bitter.

Red Iceberg lettuce

I also took the last "Asian Delight" bok choy, flowering but still good.

Asian Delight (F1)

Finally, all the remaining Eastern Magic broccoli had to be picked.

Remaining Eastern Magic crop

So I messed up. In keeping with the goal of growing less this year, and not filling the freezer, I meant to only grow 3 each of the two broccoli varieties. I planted 6 each. To the freezer some must go.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading, and thanks as always to Dave at HappyAcres.blog for hosting Harvest Monday.


 

2 comments:

  1. The broccoli looks great, even if the succession didn't go as planned. I've had the same trouble getting broccoli over a longer period. It all seems to come on at once! So far my kohlrabi haven't split, but it does happen for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely harvests. Eastern Magic broccoli looks like a winner for you. It's hard not to plant all six seedlings when you only intend to plant three. Those are California-worthy artichokes! Congratulations and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete